Thursday 28 May 2009

One week in!

It's been a few days now, so it's probably time I caught up. Things have been busy here in Reth, the public awareness side of things is pretty much in full swing now, we are doing 6 slide shows a week and the kiosk is open 12 hours a day. The monitoring work will start on Sunday, which is when things will get really busy!

Last Sunday saw my first encounter with an adult Loggerhead Sea Turtle, unfortunately, it was a dead one that had washed up on the beach near our base, Camping Elizabeth. There were no obvious reasons for it's death, but the decay and amount of flies told us it had obviously been dead a while and just blown in with the wind we had last week. As is usual in these situations, the Port Authority are informed and they arrange for it to be measured and then the Municipality will bury it.

I have spent most of this week in the kiosk training the new staff, we've had a steady flow of new volunteers, and we are now up to 12 volunteers here, but I will be taking 3 of them with me to Chania on Tuesday. I have also been going along to some of the slide shows, as I'll need to start doing them myself soon. I really want to get over to Chania now, it will be hard work as we will need to get the camp built up, the kiosk built and start work on the PA stuff, but I want to be on my own site. I will also need to start doing the Chania monitoring work pretty soon – the first nest in Greece (in Zakynthos) has already been laid!



2 comments:

  1. Dunc, Hels & Samuel x31 May 2009 at 09:49

    Good luck over in Chania mate, hope it all goes well. I bet you can't wait to have your own turtle kingdom!

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work herb. Guess you're probably over in Chania now, make sure you wear a hat this time!

    ReplyDelete