Wednesday 10 June 2009

Sorry!

It's been a while since my last update, but I have been very busy and haven't had much time to write! Anyway, I've installed a new app on my phone so I can write more often!

I have been in xania for just over a week now, things have been hectic. There wasn't much of a campsite when we got there, but this quickly changed, by the time Mik and myself (with a lot of help from Eric, a local musician/carpenter) got the kiosk built -which was much more difficult than the Reth one - the volunteers on camp (Lucy, Mel, Krysty and new arrivals Deborah and Colin) had pretty much sorted the roof, Walls and kitchen.

We started up the kiosk straight away, and Mik and I did the first morning survey on Thursday (with a massive hangover...) we found one set of tracks, but not much else. The beach we are monitoring is 5km long, and is mostly pebbles, so walking can be hard work - especially at 6 in the morning. After we arranged a couple of slideshows at local hotels, Mik left back for Reth. The following morning I started training the volunteers on the monitoring work, with instant success. We found Xania's first nest of the season!

Things are starting to settle down now, Krysty has left, which now leaves just me an 4 volunteers, but we might get a new person today.

Oh one last thing, I must say thanks to bernie 'clickety click' Dewhurst for taking the time out of his Crete holiday to pay me a visit. It was good to see a face from home, and the pizza ice cream went down a treat! Thanks!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment