Friday 10 July 2009

Myrtles Morning Survey

Hi All,

It's been a while, but I thought I'd share a few photos from a morning survey last week, I was walking the beach by myself, so thought I'd get a few snaps in too!
It was quite a busy morning, within 500m of starting the beach I found this:

It's an abandoned egg chamber. The chamber had lots of rocks in it, so I assume the female turtle decided that it was unsuitable - she then went back into the sea.

Not much happened for the next kilometre or so, but then I found this!


It is a pretty much perfect nest, with a distinct camoflage pit and camoflage. A short dig was all that was needed to find the eggs


The only problem however was it was far too close to the sea. If we have northerly winds here the sea can come very far up the beach, and this nest would be washed away. So I had to relocate the nest (with a little help...)

20 minutes later, and the 123 eggs were safely positioned further away from the sea.


Things are slowing down a bit turtle wise, we have been stuck on 14 nests for about a week now!

I'll try to write more soon!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment